Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Waiting on the next phone call

I am waiting for the next phone call from my cousin. Need to know what he needs done. In the meantime I am keeping myself occupied reading the news.

I wish to make a prediction. Everytime you log onto the internet, you are assigned what is known as an IP address. Some internet providers give one each time you connect to their system. The IP address can change based on where you are connecting. If I am travelling and use differant hotels the IP for my computer will change each time.

My prediction is that IP addresses will be permanently assigned to individuals someday, same as a Social Security Number. The better to track you my dearie. It is but a minor guess and a relatively easy one at that.

Did you catch the article about the cameras in Pennsylvania laptops. Turns out the school had tens of thousands of photos of kids in their homes. George Orwell had nothing on these clowns. I will tell you right here and now that the next ten years are going to make your head spin. We will see more change than in the last 1,000 years.

The changes that are coming are decisions for individuals to make about their lives. If you wish to compete in business, you will need to "upgrade". Your life will rely on technology if you let it, if you want the cookies. Our relationship with our government will continue to change. At some point we will believe that we have more input, that will be a mistake. We will have more input over non-essentials. We will have less input over how the game is played.

Here is a prediction. How bout home schooling. LOL. There is not enough money to pay for enough teachers. What if rather than building schools, children could attend any school they wanted on line from home? Save a bunch of money. You would only learn from the "best" teachers and would not need as many. We will see the best working and the rest on permanent unemployment/welfare. We will see this in other industries also.

Most people are so busy looking for their cookie that they cannot see the infrastructure change. Watch the infrastructure. In boxing, you do not watch your opponents fists, you watch his shoulders and will know where his fist is going sooner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home schooling in the upper grades via internet, something Bill Gates was proposing a couple years ago, makes sense to me.

Pimpernel said...

I understand the usefulness of it economically. My issue with it is that it leads to less social binding. If we do not feel bound to one another, we will not help one another.

People who play online games are binding to people who live all over the world, they may never even meet in person. What happens to society, community when it is not local? Consequences are guarenteed.

Anonymous said...

Your points have merit as they usually do. Consider a "traditionally" home schooled child -- advantaged or disadvantaged? Both, IMO. And consider today's high school students, so isolated by and accustomed to the technology of the day that they will text each other while sitting in the same room. It is a sorry situation, but it is already reality. I moved many times during the school years, a harsh reality sometimes but it also taught me many things. Two sides to every argument.

Consider the bonding within a larger community, even the global one. Consider the friends you have in those other states, the ones who have so supported you. Are they any less friends because they are not in your neighborhood? I don't live in your state -- do you think I care MORE or LESS about what happens in California because you and others I care for happen to be there?
Many of my distant friends know more of me than the people I spend 40 hours a week with. I do not disdain the local community, I participate in it. I also reach beyond it.
Call it Catch 22 if you will, but these connections around the world are not the end of the world, rather an opening up to it.

And yes, still anonymous, for your sake.