Wednesday, August 25, 2010

More Garbage

Wired has published an article. The Link. It says that "Do Gooders are Unpopular Team Members". It says that they are unpopular because they raise the bar for everyone else, that is not the reason.

We dislike people who are unselfish because it demonstrates that we are selfish. There is a scene in Scarface where the criminal says that we (the good people) need him to scare us into being good. That is criminal thinking. We don't fear there being bad people in the world, we know there are, heck, we have been bad. What we fear is good people, that means that we can be better.

We fear gratitude because it may cause us to pay our debts. I am funny with debts, usually tell people the same thing. Firstly, if I give someone something or do something for them, I don't expect them to ever pay me back even if they say they will. My payback ratio is about 10%, 90% never pay me back. Secondly, if I do something for someone I usually ask that they do the same in the future if they see someone in the same situation. They have a term for this now, "Pay it forward".

Where we are as a society is determined by each of us individually, we are all participants. If we had a society of people who would jump on a hand grenade to save others then we won't be throwing any hand grenades. The article is about how we have to be selfish to be social. People who are selfish are more likely to be liked is it's message. If you wish to be selfish, you will use the article to justify being selfish.

No comments: