Friday, December 17, 2010

My Therapist and I

Well, we cleaned the house and then I saw my therapist. When I returned I met a realtor who took pictures of my house for the mortgage company.

My therapist mentioned that he had read the blog and liked how it brought up a different perspective. I always enjoy seeing my therapist. He provided me a safe place to be confused and someone to talk to. It is important to say things out loud and it is important to write them so that others can read it. Things sound different when we say them out loud. They sound different to us.

I have written a few posts that I never posted. After writing them they did not sound the way they had in my head. Still, it is important to think about what we say. One of the problems with the internet and blogging is that many people, because of anonymity, will say horrible things. They say things they would not in public. I say the same things in public that I post on this blog and anyone who knows me knows this to be the truth.

I do not consider what I do to be journalism, it is merely amateur writing. I do not seek to be a news source. Real journalists spend months investigating things. Bloggers would never have uncovered Watergate. There is still a place for big media. I don't like the fact that the media is now owned by about six giant companies; but, I don't want it to go away. When freedom ends it will be because there is nobody left to talk to all of us. The last nail in the coffin will be the elimination of big media.

We should fear monopolies. We should also fear that no industry can get the attention of government. Totalitarianism in the west will not be because of complete control by business, it will because no organization is big enough to contradict the government. In my opinion even government will be destroyed in exchange for direct democracy and individuals voting with their cell phones.

In order to have an empowered citizenry, there must be a process that forces compromise. Two parties forces compromise, thousands of parties mean endless bickering and no ability to change the status quo as consensus cannot arrived at. That is where I think we are headed and that is where Europe is.

No comments: