Thursday, June 20, 2013

Oh wow, foreign markets are really down.

I woke up in the middle of the night. I had an ice cream, a cigarette and a glass of wine. I put on some music and checked the financial news. The Asian market is down almost 3%. Imagine a country losing 3% of it's wealth in a day. It doesn't sound like much but imagine 3% of your population losing their jobs in one day. Just using really bad numbers, lets try this. China has over a billion people, imagine having about 18 million lose their jobs in one day. The Hang Seng index went down 2.88% last night.

Americans do not understand it. Imagine if we lost the ability to have jobs for 3% of our population that are willing to work in one day. There was a time when we had under 5% unemployment, businesses were begging for employees and the jobs were filled, people are willing to work, not me, others. I am a lazy old man who wants to retire and be paid to. In my industry the average lifespan after retirement is 18 months. I think it is too generous; but, it is what it is. How many years should one have free from work? Shouldn't we all have at least a year to understand what it all meant and rest?

I have collected a lot of financial articles to post and did not. The issues are not financial, they are very human. I will post them in the next few days. Have a great week.

No comments: