Thursday, December 19, 2013

Would You Like Some Media Lies for Christmas? Here You Go

A few days ago I saw a video by Conan O'Brien. He does this thing where he shows all these different local newscasters across the nation saying word for word the exact same thing. Here is part of the clip, I couldn't find the one I had originally seen which was a little bit longer.

YouTube - Media Reacts: A Christmas Present Or Two Or Ten Edition. A funny bit showing just how single source the mainstream media is seeing as how 5 or 6 companies control 90% of the media. By the way, this is not the first time that he has shown this.

What I found interesting was that they were all pushing people to "self-gift", to use Christmas as an excuse to buy yourself presents. Anyways, I didn't think much more about it. I had considered posting it; but, thought I may have posted one of Conan's examples of this before and I also felt that I had discussed the pitiful nature of the mass media's being nothing more than repeaters (David Icke used that term and I agree).

Today, I was scanning the news to see if there was anything worth writing about for you dear readers and I came across this.

New York Times - Retailers’ Sly Message: Get Yourself a Gift, Too. It points out how retailers are specifically targeting sales at people buying presents for themselves. One of the comments to the article was by someone who pointed out that if they buy things they need while shopping for Christmas it is not "self-gifting" and it isn't. I hate shopping and when I go I try and get it all out of the way. In addition, I have not bought one present for Christmas, someone else did that for me. Yeah, I got it like that. LOL.

If I do go to the store (and it looks like I will have to), it will be to buy something that I need for the house or me. It will not be Christmas shopping, I still need to buy things for the year. For instance, during winter I like to cook stews and soups. I like the warm means and unfortunately, my crock pot is in another state so I will have to buy a new one. This will not be a gift to myself, it is just something I need to do what I want. I don't think of it as a gift to myself, it is a cooking tool for meals I want to make.

I looked up "self-gifting" to see if there was some sort of trend on selling people the idea that they should buy themselves presents and your know what, there is and it is all a lie.

Los Angeles Times - Self-gifting by consumers is on retailers' wish lists. I like the nonsense in this article because it is flat out promoting "self-gifting" as being important to the economy and that if we don't self-gift we are causing the economy to not improve. Even the person they talk about in the first couple of paragraphs that they use as an example of a self-gifter wasn't. She had been out of work for awhile, just got a new job and had some extra cash so she bought things at the sales. It points out that she bought an I-Pad, well lets think about this. I am out of work for a couple of years, technology has advanced. I get a job and can afford to replace my old laptop, should I do it now, while it is on sale? Is that self-gifting?

Let's try this. I have been out of work for two years and finally get a job. I hadn't eaten out while unemployed because I couldn't afford it. If I decide to treat myself to a meal at a nice restaurant is it a Christmas gift to myself. This "trend" is being reported across the nation as if it were real and there is absolutely no proof that it is. Surveys done by public relations firms for retail organizations. I can even guess how they did the surveys. You stop shoppers as they are leaving a store and ask them if they did any Christmas shopping. They person says yes because they picked up some presents. The next question is "Did you buy anything for yourself today?" The person says yes, they bought a toaster oven because theirs had broken and they found a good sale. Did they self-gift? Nope but it gets counted that way. One of the articles mentioned how people self gifted wrinkle cream. Is that really a gift?

I beat this issue into the ground for a reason. We have absolutely no reason to believe that "self-gifting" is a trend and every reason to believe it is an idea that retailers are trying to sell us on. Now, remember that Conan O'Brian video, kind of creepy now. He has demonstrated that local newscasters are repeating complete propaganda for the media they work for and doing it identically across the nation. Pretty easy to do that when only 5 or 6 companies own all of the local media. I should also point out that these repeaters (news reporters) are nothing more than actors, they don't write the news or even put their perspective into their reporting.

I don't know why I get as many views as I do on this blog. I am sure that each person has their own reasons; but, I don't repeat what I have read, I give my take on it and allow the reader a link to the same thing I read, clearly identifying it as such. I don't consider myself a reporter, I do not do independent investigations or speak to witnesses. I comment on what I read and see, this is an opinion blog, not a news blog and their is a difference. I would never claim that this blog is objective, it is intended to be subjective, it is my opinion and even the comments are moderated. I am not being quite fair to myself, I censor the blog; but, it is never because someone disagrees with me or even questions me, it is usually for profanity, things I find inappropriate (I hold commentators to the same rules I apply to myself and do not cuss on this blog), when I am asked to or when someone makes statements that could be libelous and I cannot prove one way or the other. I have called out people by name; but, I always include source documents and published articles. I also want to point out that I don't sell anything, I don't promote anything for anything and this site is not monetized, not one penny do I receive for redirecting people to anybody.

I am going to retire in about a year and will possibly spend more time writing. I might decide to write a book, I have written two and never did anything with them. I might just clean them up and try and publish online, if I do I might do it on Lulu (a place that allows you to sell electronic books online). The truth, I probably won't publish. If I decide to write a book I will probably do it right here on this blog and do it for free. I don't write for money, I write because I must. Someone asked Stephen King how to become a writer and he said, "write". He didn't talk about making money or how to become successful, he talked about passion and that is why I write. I cannot draw anymore, my arthritic little hands just don't allow me the control needed. I cannot even write out a legible check; but, I can type and have a computer. Writing is so powerful to my soul, it is how I express myself and force myself to think about things I would prefer to ignore. It is life.

I have no problem with people making a living from writing. In fact, one of my followers is apparently a professional writer. I don't think she comes here because of wonderful prose, I think she is probably interested in a particular subject that I have written about. From what I can tell, writing is her career and that is how she feeds herself. I think that is wonderful. I think that someone that writes as a career out of their passion, whether it be in their beliefs or artistry, should be commended. It is a risky career as are all artistic endeavors. I do however have a problem with people that write whatever will make them money. I mean if you totally prostitute yourself and don't care.

What am I talking about? Lets go back again to that video at the beginning where they all say the exact same thing to convince you that everyone is self gifting and it is okay. What they are telling you is to go beyond buying what you need and specifically creating in your mind the idea that Christmas is a time to buy yourself gifts, bobble that you do not need and to do it on credit. Don't turn this season into Debtmas, keep it Christmas.

Here is the reality. This is the last Christmas before the economy is going to tank. I am pretty sure of this now. I have fudged on the when because it has been stretched out by games by the Federal Reserve called Quantitative Easing and it is difficult to know when they would stop. It has just been announced that the Fed is going to taper, just as the head of the Federal Reserve is leaving. That is what I have been waiting to see. Christmas accounts for all the big purchases of the year and this is the last chance for retail and manufacturers to clear their inventories before people cannot buy. Next Christmas is going to be horrible for sales, a bloodbath. The stores that survive will be the smart squirrels that save their nuts for the year during winter.

If you understood the last paragraph, you will understand why the media is pushing for self gifting this year. They are not doing that because they have a good story, they are not doing that because they believe in anything, they are doing that for a paycheck, they have sold you out and are willing to lie to you, to tell you whatever will make them money. They are entertainers, not commentators or news people. Peace.

No comments: