Thursday, July 24, 2014

America's Got Talent

I hate most television; but, I like talent shows. I like to watch old style variety shows, it reminds me of the Ed Sullivan Show and seeing the Beatles and variety acts. After Mr. Sullivan, that type of variety show sort of stopped playing. America's Got Talent is a true variety show and I like the interplay by the judges. I have seen some amazing acts this year and am going to post a link to the performances by my favorite ones, ones that could go professional today, in my not so humble opinion having worked as a stage manager for over a decade.

In the dance catagory, I love these two. Blue Journey. I think it is beautiful and sublime and I don't usually like dancing. This is worth your watching and I don't think you will be sorry that you did.

The Willis Clan. Music Groups. They could tour right now and I would buy a ticket, what a family, all beautiful (including the parents), all talented and a joy to hear.

David and Leeman. Magicians. I was performing magic when I was a child, I studied Houdini, I read books about his magic. My father and I performed a trick better than the one other act that was performing it and they were playing Vegas. It is a very difficult trick and I haven't seen anyone perform it in 40 years. The act only really pays off when you have a young boy and his father, it is a mind reading act and you have never seen it performed and you probably never will. It takes years to learn and you can only perform it for at best, 5 years and that would be stretching it. My father taught me the trick after he discovered that I loved magic and he also worked with me as I taught myself escape tricks. I bet this surprises some people. LOL. Magic is not about the trick, it is about the presentation and David and Leeman are very possibly the best act this year. I want to give an honorable mention to Smoothini, loved his act.

Julia Goodwin. Singer. I love the style of music that she sings and she does it well. She is only 15; but, you would never know it. I would buy her album of this type of music tomorrow.

Honorable mention and an explanation goes to this last act. Adrain Romoff. This young man is very talented and will go far; but, he will truly succeed when he writes his own music. His playing is very good; but, I have heard others equally good. He needs to grow and write his own and then we will be able to better know his abilities.

I would like to see the final two be David and Leeman and Julia Goodwin. If I based my choice on who could open a Vegas show tomorrow, it would be David and Leeman, they already have their act ready. If I base my choice on talent alone, it would be Ms. Goodwin. I want to hear her again, I would pay to see either of these acts.

No comments: