Monday, June 25, 2018

Just letting you know I am still here.

I'm sorry dear readers. I have seen little worth writing about that isn't overwritten about. I would usually take this time to write about some thought on life; but, I find I cannot. I lost a relative recently and am watching another do stupid stuff. I have barely seen anyone in weeks. I have been picking up fast food and staying indoors to myself. I keep in touch with people, I talk to people on the phone daily. I am not apologizing for not writing, I am merely saying why I have been quiet so much for awhile now. Other things were on my mind.

If any news event is weighing on my mind it is the passing of the European Unions articles 11 and 13. What? You have never heard of it. The European Union is passing a law that would "force" websites to take down memes and clips from the news and clips, well, from anything. The same law would require you to pay a fee to websites that you provide a link to. If implemented, it would mean that blogger would probably prohibit me from providing you links to source documents. Wow.

Pimpernel had a fairly classical education. Because my professors wanted me to become a professor they even gave me special attention in college. I knew all the inside baseball. In law school I was also respected. Throughout college and law school I wrote untold numbers of documents, reports and briefs. They all used standard format  and that includes referencing the source material that you relied on. This EU law basically outlaws footnotes and bibliographies that are online.

You probably haven't heard about this. I said it was coming about a month ago. It is funny, the EU does not believe in borders against people, only against thoughts.

When I was about six, I attended first grade in Massachusetts. On the playground we sang each other six year old songs. "The Addams Family started when uncle Fester farted, they all came out retarded, the Addams family." There were others, there was one about Batman. All the silly songs they knew, I knew too. They were never on television or the radio or even in the papers. It was an oral tradition that passed from state to state as kids moved. It traveled quicker than one might suspect. Thoughts are contagious and cannot be killed.

No comments: