Sunday, June 20, 2010

Amusing Stories

I think I have posted too much on news for the moment and want to give the reader a chuckle. I have two Las Vegas stories that I think are amusing. They are absolutely true and I hope they bring a smile to your face.

Before my father died, he used to like going to Vegas and I tried to take him there once a month. He would play for hours nonstop. I could only play for a bit and would get bored. As a consequence I would go to the shows. Now here is something that the readers can use. In Vegas the best seats are kept for the high rollers and their wives. Frequently only the wife will take the seat while the husband gambles. That means you can usually get one seat. As my dad did not go to the shows, I usually got one seat up front. The moral is, if you want the best seat in the house, go alone.

One weekend I wanted to see a traditional Las Vegas show, the longest running show was at the Tropicana, it was the Follies Bergere. I bought a ticket and went, front row, far right (stage left for actors, lol). Having been a stage manager I like to sit far to the right or left so that I can see backstage.

Let me tell you about the show. In addition to be the longest running Vegas show, it was a variety show. It was very family friendly except at night when it was topless. The ladies were mostly natural and a little older than on most of the strip as the show had run longer. There was singing and dancing and jugglers (the juggler was very funny) and it was a real variety show. The ladies were lovely, old school Vegas dancers.

On the night I went, a newlywed couple sat across from me. I was in my mid forties, bald, short, glasses, grey, wearing a Hawaiian shirt. The couple was 30 or so. The show began and there was a dancing number, it was ballroom dancing. One of the lady dancers was having a hard day. When the couple dancing turned and stopped, the lady dancer thought nobody could see her as her partner blocked her from the audience; but, I could see her because I was on the far right side. When they stopped she looked at her partner and started complaining about something, I think her feet hurt. She looked to the side and noticed that I had seen her break character. She was embarrassed, I only found it charming, I have worked too many stages.

Now, let me tell you about this showgirl. She was beautiful and tall and graceful and probably in her early 30s. The kind of woman men love to be seen with and in the longest running Vegas show in history. I have no doubt that she was the complete professional, a joy to behold for an old stage manager. You can only imagine how hard the life of a showgirl is, lots of work, hard work, dreadful costumes, high heels and hard dancing, she had amazing legs, dancers do; but, there is a price for it. She probably had a family and was working to provide for them.

Well, this young lady made a mistake, she broke character, that is frowned upon by professionals and she knew I had seen, that is the worst, an audience member caught her. As she complained to her dance partner, she noticed that I had seen everything, she was embarrassed. The show continued and later just the ladies were dancing, all of them topless. At one point, the lady ended up in front of me, she looked over at me and smiled and winked, as if to say, "You caught me". Now comes the best part.

The young newlywed man saw this statuesque, beautiful, amazing showgirl wink at a little old man. He turned and looked at me with most baffled look a guy can have. As if to say, who the heck are you that this showgirl is winking at you during the show. LOL. His confusing and reaction made my night. For the rest of the evening he would turn and make this puzzled face at me, probably assumed I was rich.

My next story is semi-sad. One of my best friends lost his mother. When she died I offered to fly to the east coast and attend the funeral. Instead he asked that I take he and his father to Vegas, to get away. Some time passed and they flew out, I got us a nice hotel and stayed with his father. The first night I was ill. I had bought tickets for some show and we went. It had a former playboy or playmate model, I don't remember which. We had front row seats and I was dying, headache, nauseous, a real mess; but, I wanted his father to see the show so I went. Did I mention front row. Yeah.

There the three of us were sitting and me ready to pass out from being sick and in pain. My friends father had never been to Vegas and this was his first Vegas show. The show began and the playmate was lifter on a chair and put above the audience, she ended up just in front of me, a half naked playmate, she looked down and waved and smiled at me in front of my friends dad. He thought I knew everyone in town. I was just sitting in the right place at the right time. It was great.

I treasure the times I was allowed to take my father and my friend's father to Vegas. I treasure the fact that I was allowed to do something for them. When my father was dying, my friends father, who I had not met in person, was very nice to my father, they worked in the same industry but did not know each other, they had toiled the same ground. I was very blessed that I could have two such men appreciate me and let them know they were appreciated. Real men, old school, tough as nails and quiet until they needed to be firm.

These men paid their dues for their families and did not complain much. They were old school and worthy of my respect. Even in my 50s I still refer to my friends dad as Mr. It is respect. It is earned and happily given. It is not agreement on everything, it is respect for the gifts they have given others. I did not know this was going to be about fathers, I guess it was just on my mind. I miss my father and my mother, greatly.

No comments: