Thursday, July 29, 2010

DRAT, another article

Okay, so someone data mined Facebook and posted all the information where it could be seen and linked to other personal information. To develop relationships of trust, ones in which we speak freely, people must respect your trust. Facebook is a whore because they made changes to your privacy without telling you in advance, they did not respect their relationship with you.

Part of the issue is unilateral versus consent. Informed consent. The ex gave her boyfriend my personal e-mails and then told me nothing I said was private. She used my trust in her against me. She told me that our conversations were private and then made them public, actually worse, she gave them to her boyfriend.

I hired someone from another department, he is dead now; but, never forgotten. I hired a second person from another department. I told them both the same thing. I will never ask for information about your department that was given in confidence and I expect that you will never give confidential information about my department to others.

People tell me things, some in confidence and some in the hope that I will release the information. I try to find out what their intent is. I try and act as a filter with integrity. I am imperfect; but, I try. There are many things that I have not posted. There are many secrets that were given in confidence that I have not posted. I respect that trust I was given and that mine was respected, it is about mutuality. Even though my ex-wife treats nothing I have said with privacy (her words), I still respect hers. I may get angry at times; but, I will not post her name, nor mine.

Facebook does not respect it's relationship with you. It does not consider anything you post as private. Someone recently stalked the founder of Facebook and attempted to say that because he did not respect privacy they wanted to see how he felt about disrespecting his privacy. I disagree, we cannot promote privacy by violating privacy. Pretty much my problem with Assange and Wikileaks.

No comments: