Saturday, July 17, 2010

Medical Mischief

The Obama Administration is planning to require that ALL medical providers who receive payments from the government have electronic medical records and now they are going to require that they also report people's weight. I guess we are going to legislate against being overweight.

I smoke. I have for decades. I also eat meat, love it. I also drink wine, red preferably a Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon. I have a high stress job that involves sitting all day. I have been hospitalized more than once for high blood pressure. I have been told that I am a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. If I changed all of my habits and exercises, I will still be a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen, it is in my genes.

I anticipate that once Universal Healthcare is instituted we will begin having attacks on people who smoke or are overweight because it costs the "taxpayers" more for their healthcare. My solution is to stop seeing doctors. The only doctor I am willing to see anymore is my therapist, I enjoy talking to him. I am not promoting smoking or drinking or not exercising, these are personal decisions not state ones.

We all die. This cannot be avoided and should not. Being overweight is unhealthy, we all know that. It is none of my business if you are overweight, it is none of the government's business and no I don't care what the cost is, I care about individual freedom to make decisions for oneself. Privacy of body and mind are the most fundamental of rights. We are eliminating both.

No comments: