Monday, July 5, 2010

The things people think

I sort of took today off. I braised a brisket and made dinner; but, other than that I watched a couple of old movies on Hulu. I recommend "A Comedy of Terrors" with Vincent Price, Basil Rathbone, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff. Very funny and charming.

I finished the film and was looking up weird stories in Wikipedia. I found one. I have talked about how science seems to think the world is real and we are not. How about a society that believes the world would be better off if there were no humans on it. They have a group that believes in Voluntary Human Extinction. Please read the linked article.

We are continually bombarded with propaganda that we are unimportant and the earth is all that matters. Eventually someone had to believe it and decide it was best if we did not exist. If a tree falls in the forest and there are no people, does it matter?

We matter, you matter. We may not always be the best we can; but, we matter. Sentient, self aware beings feel pain and joy, trees do not. For decades "animal rights" groups have stated that people are no more important than are animals, now we are told that we are less important than rocks and trees. The attack is on our self-understanding.

No comments: