Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Purpose in Life

I have to lead a little home study group tonight, the regular pastor is sick. The series we have been going over has to do with finding purpose in life. We should all have intent; but, sometimes things change and we must change also. A simple example of this would be dedicating your life to your family, well, when the kids grow and your spouse leaves or dies, you cannot really live that purpose in the same way.

I mention this because at this point in my life I am living that experience. The kids are grown and have their own lives and the ex is, well, she is the ex. I haven't really had much time to ponder my purpose, or my new purpose because I have been busy unburdening myself of so much. Getting rid of my house and finishing my divorce were biggies and they took a couple of years. Settling in to my new place has also taken some time, although I really enjoy having less to deal with.

I was asked today by a friend if I was going to date again and I said I really didn't know, that it wasn't something on my mind. Ever since I was 4, I knew what I wanted to do and I did it. Now I am in my early 50s and starting over in many ways. I think that takes some distance and time, distance from the life we lived and the intent we had so that we can let go of the old habits and determine where we want to go.

I believe we should have purpose in life and I also believe that sometimes we have to take some time to ourselves to review the past choices and decisions that we made. I do not think we should just jump into something new, especially not a relationship. Sometimes we jut need a break. I need a break from thinking about what I want to do with my life.

An aside to this is that when these phases in life complete and we are ready to begin a new one, we begin with more knowledge and understanding and doors that were once closed can open again. Tonight my purpose is simple, stand in for someone. I can do that, I can talk for a little.

Sometimes it is as simple as what you are going to do today rather than what you are going to do for the rest of your life. Who knows what tomorrow may bring, I sure don't. I do not know who I will meet, what I will be confronted with or if I will even see the sun shine again. For today, I am just going to finish the night, hopefully. Be well.

No comments: