Wednesday, October 18, 2017

What to write or not write.


The video is just for fun. I think World Police is just one of the funnies movies ever. I saw it with my daughters in Vegas the Friday it came out, the theater was practically empty and we laughed our butts off. I actually bought a copy of Matt and Trey's first film, "Cannibal the Musical". my commitment has always been towards government; but, my passion has always been the arts. I cannot explain the joy of waiting back stage for the few minutes before opening night. It is magical and a world of it's own. I don't think people know that about me, not even brother and sister.

People who know me from business view me as very smart, very dedicated and highly unusual. I think they assume I am all about business and I am not. I spent my time to make sure I did it well; but, my heart has always been with the arts. I enjoyed woodworking, drawing, music and writing more than I ever enjoyed government or business.

So, what brings this all up. Well, I think I am ready to write a story again. I want to finish my story about the Rat Pack being vampire hunters and that being their reason for going to Vegas. I figure it will take two years. That's sounds like a long time for a guy who can write as fast as I do; but, I think it will take a year just to research all the characters. I want to incorporate people like Anton LeVay (the father of modern Satanism who befriended Sammy Davis Jr) and so many others. Sort of like Forest Gump did; but, in a decidedly different manner. I could spend the next two years preparing for the bar; but, I don't want to practice law, never did and don't now. I took law to write laws, I'm past that.

If I choose to write my story, I will need to buy some software for my computer and probably a new computer. I have been asked to write books about accounting, public right of ways and other exciting issues that could easily be published. They would be small runs for dedicated readers; but, I think I could expand the market for these issues. I would not publish my story online, except in an e-book format and I really think the story is visual.

Here is what I am going to consider. I have written two books. I am considering putting them up on this blog. I wrote them 30 years ago. Each is a little over 100 pages. If I publish them here I will literally not make one penny for them. That doesn't really bother me. If I commit to writing another story I actually want to make money off of it.

So what do you think. Should I publish both of my stories here for free? Should I write a third as I described? If I do decide to write a third, it will likely lead to much fewer postings on the blog for a year or two.

2 comments:

sizzlingcell said...

Write the new story and after its published and you are known then release the other two and make money off all of them, God only knows you deserve the money...

Pimpernel said...

sizzlingcell, you always say the nicest things. The first two books were put on floppys, I don't think I could convert them. Instead, I have to scan and convert pdf a couple hundred pages just to post them here. I wrote the first two in the early 80s before starting my career. Fortunately I printed them out in about 1993 or 4. I am not willing to retype them all, I am jus too lazy and would end up updating them to make them current. I don't think I want them to be current, they are a product of their time and what I thought at the time. Finding and scanning is the most I can put on myself. That means free publication on this blog or a new one.

As for the next story. If I do write it, it will mean less time blogging and I am okay with that on a level. Heck, I almost killed this blog for good a couple years back. Blogs are not followed as much as they used to be, people are now focused on Facebook and YouTube. I think I will try and scan the first book into PDF and then post here. If people like it, I will scan and post the second. If people those then I will work on the third. That seems like the right approach. Now all I have to do is find the darn copy I printed; but, I am sure I didn't throw it out.