Saturday, August 22, 2015

Are You a Capitalist or a Christian?

We live in a world of propaganda and spin, it is about all we hear anymore and I have spent the last few years writing this blog and trying to point that out. There is no left or right, it is not the good guys against the bad guys, it is big money versus the world. Some of the wealthiest have pointed this out and were vilified for doing so as traitors to their own economic class. Warren Buffet said the rich should pay more in taxes and the Republicans told him he should send a check; but, that it was a personal choice. Mr. Buffet gathered wealthy people together to pledge to give more and he was ridiculed for that. Others who are extremely wealthy have claimed that the rich shouldn't pay any taxes and that their votes should count for more than the average person's vote (I posted the quotes and links to the interviews previously).

The new pope came out and said that income inequality and our failure to take care of the poor was wrong and that we needed to change. He was then attacked by "Christian" Republicans and even Catholic Republicans for making "political" statements. Huh???? The same conservative Republicans that encouraged the religious right to fight "gay marriage" and "abortion" complained that a Pope was arguing for helping the poor. That is called a hypocrite. They are Christian until it effects their pocketbook or that of their donors.

If you are a Christian and have read your bible then you might remember where Jesus was asked if the people in Israel should pay a particular tax and Jesus response was to ask them whose face was on their money and they said it was Caesar's and his response was to tell them to give unto Caesar that which was his. He basically said, it is not your money. In case your wondering, he also said to be good slaves. He never said blow up a federal building in Oklahoma to protest. The first Christians were basically communists by the way, they gave all their money to the church.

Now, you can like it or not but what I wrote is the truth and is in the New Testament, you can even look it up. Jesus was not a conservative, he was a radical and a pacifist. If you wish to go back to the old testament, the rules were even tougher. No debt could last for more than seven years at the end of which all debts were forgiven and it was considered a sin to charge interest on a loan. Let us not forget that you were also expected to give 10% of your income to the synagogues along with special extra times of giving.

I certainly don't expect atheists to believe in these things, though some like Buffet have given way more that 10% to charity, not to the church as he is an Atheist; but, to take care of others. I'm pretty sure Warren Buffet is a capitalist.

I should reiterate something I wrote about before. I did preach for a few years; but, was not an Evangelical, I never tried to "make" someone a Christian, it is not my job, my job is what the bible says, to have an explanation for why I believe and have hope. I don't expect non-Christians to abide by Christian values, that would be ludicrous. I expect Christians to abide by Christian values. I thought I might add some verses from the bible.

Matthew 19:16-30King James Version (KJV)
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

No comments: