Sunday, August 15, 2010

I don't know what Snooki is

I have been seeing the name Snooki pop up in news sources a lot recently. Apparently there was some issue because Obama claimed not to know what Snooki is. I don't. Haven't watched television in quite a while and really have no idea who she is. As best I can tell it is some girl on a show about New Jersey. Having said that, I don't know if she is good, bad or indifferent.

Have I detached myself from my community? Should I know who and what Snooki is, will my life somehow be more fulfilling if I do? I don't want to know what Snooki sounds like, I don't want to know anything about her beyond what I do.

I read the papers and see faces of young stars, I don't know them. I have never seen Twilight or True Blood or any of the vampire garbage that is so popular. Does this mean that I am no longer socially relevant? Rather than filling my time with television I prefer to quietly contemplate, eventually I will re-engage with society; but, what is there worth re-engaging with if it is just filled with meaningless chatter?

If the media believes spending all this time discussing a Snooki and whether or not the president knows who she is then the media has little to offer me. It is odd reading the news because so much of it is dedicated to people who I know nothing about. I will assume that the average American knows who Snooki is, probably more than those who know who the president of Russia is or the president of France.

UPDATE

Okay, I read about Snooki on Wikipedia. Sorry I did. And this person deserves media attention because?????? I don't get it.

No comments: